Friday, March 13, 2009

Mean Streets by Jim Butcher (& Green & Richardson & Sniegoski)


Mean Streets Cover
I recently completed the first of the four stories contained in Mean Streets, a compilation book of stories from four of the best selling authors in the genre of "paranormal private investigators."  I honestly did not even know this was a genre, but I am relatively new to the whole book reviewing gig. I am at the stage of "I don't know what the genres are, I just know what I like."

And I definitely liked "The Warrior" by Jim Butcher.  Well, "like" is not strong enough.  "Flat out loved" would be more accurate.

This is a story that fits into Butcher's Dresden Files series right after the full length novel Small Favor.  One of my favorite characters from that installment was seriously injured; almost killed, in fact.  This short story deals with the aftermath of that attack, and Dresden's reaction to almost losing his friend.  And what happens when his friend is put in danger while he is still vulnerable.  

The writing is fast paced, as with most of Butcher's previous works.  It is heavy on humor, action, sarcasm and snark which suits me just fine.  As per usual, Dresden gets the living daylights kicked out of him while fighting against almost insurmountable odds and enemies so powerful that one cringes to think of even looking too closely at them, much less attempting to best them in battle.  And as usual, Butcher ties it all up with a pretty bow in the end.  

Honestly, I think that is what keeps me coming back for more. I have read so many really great books (The Last Good Kiss by Crumley springs to mind) that just left me cold in the end.  I know that a good story doesn't always have to have a happy ending.  And there have been ones that did not end with everything all sweetness and light that I actually loved. But, Butcher has a lovely way of ending a book (or in this case a short story) with a good, solidly tied-up finale that leaves you feeling happy you read it and hungry for more.  

While "the moral of the story" aspect of the end of this story came on a tad strong this time around, it was still a sweet sentiment about who the "real warriors" in our world are.  As a former social worker, it was an appealing argument.  People spend a lot of time in the real world beating their heads against brick walls trying to help others.  It would be nice if we all could have an angel named "Jake" to sit back and debrief us some days.  Someone who could tell us if we are on the right track would be a blessing, no matter what his disguise.

In short, as the primary reviewer for "Sherry's Blurbing Book Blog", I give Mean Streets...

4 and 1/2 (out of 5) stars!!  

This book is a "must have" for any Dresden Files fan.  And while I didn't read the other stories in the compilation (I started to but it is really difficult when you don't know who the characters are and you don't get the "in jokes"), I am sure it would also be a "must have" for fans of Green, Richardson and Sniegoski as well.

Wishing you the best of books,

Sherry

No comments:

Post a Comment